Original Post, Wednesday, October 31, 2007
Why is it that a person can't take a fall without someone watching? Is it because if no one is around she will cross her legs in the middle of the road, rock back and forth like a little baby, and perhaps never recover?
Yes, tonight (Halloween) I had no plans and of course I finished my homework early, so I decided to go for a walk. It is a crisp and rather dark night. Because I live in a senior citizen community I know the chances of running into trick-or-treaters is, almost nil.
So, off I went iPod securely attached to my sweat pants and cheesy work out music blaring (when I say cheesy, just think of the high paced top 40 junk they play at health clubs). Yeah, it gets me moving and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I was three quarters of the way through my 2 mile routine when Butterfly hit the speakers… I couldn't hold myself back, I began to run, faster and faster and about that time a little voice popped into my head that said "Sheila, if you don't slow down you are going to hit a hole and fall face first into the pavement." It was about that time car headlights rounded the corner and distracted that little voice, oh, and I hit a hole. As I began free falling into the ground, now in front of me, I began to regret the surge of energy that made me feel as though I could break into a sprint on a dark uneven road without a care in the world.
Almost immediately after feeling knee and elbow scrapes I bounced up and hurriedly fumbled for my ear buds. Of course, the car that had turned the corner was now right next to me and, thankfully, one of my favorite residents simply asked "are you ok?" To which I responded "I'm fine" and my hands finally returned the ear buds to their rightful place. I sort of ran walked the rest of the way, humble and sore, and applied the necessary treatment to my gaping wounds. Now, I sit here typing a blog and realizing that being older than the last time I hurt myself, it will probably take days for me to heal properly... but I'll be out tomorrow doing it all again, well, maybe not the sprint.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment