I was enjoying a wonderful Ravioli dinner and some mindless internet surfing after a long hard day at work. It was peaceful. Then out of nowhere, the rapturous noise of helicopter blades was suffocating me as though atop my chest. All at once men were yelling, "He's headed West, he's turned South, he's coming straight for you!"
I was paralyzed, somewhat. I wanted to look outside to see what the ruckus was all about. Why had there been helicopters and chases going on in my little neck of the woods? I didn't look because the last time we had a commotion, a gun was involved. How sad am I to be too cowardly to help those in need? Perhaps I could have seen something that would've been helpful, perhaps I could have done something a little sooner to alert officers more quickly... perhaps, perhaps, perhaps. Little does that matter now.
Finally, I got up the nerve to go outside, and what do I find? The neighbors, a lovely and newly married young couple, directly across from me had just caught someone attempting to relieve them of belongings stored on the back patio. This is mild compared to what some have gone through in my little community as of late. One kid was held prisoner in his room while he watched his stuff go out the door in a cool, calm and calculated manner. Another man was enjoying late night sports re-caps when a knock came at the door and a gun was brandished and used to hold him at bay so his video games and system could be removed while his wife and new baby slept in the bedroom.
How do these people do it, how do they pick the people they are going to vandalize? It's all so random, and it's happening closer and closer together, time wise. What do I have to look forward to next? Will there be a mass break-in all at once. For pities sake, the last one took place on Monday, and now it's Thursday and they are back for more? I do wonder about the steel ones on these characters... I mean KNOWING people are home, they still go for it? Do they not realize that a trained military officer, a crazy person, a person of their caliber could be on the other side... just waiting for an invitation to let their angst out?
I said the "NERVE" of some people... but I feel that, all too soon, it is going to get worse. People losing jobs, markets collapsing before our eyes, prisons releasing prisoners, it's starting to smell of desperation.
I will say a prayer for you, for my community, for those committing these acts... I will remember that God is in control... and we must be warriors, watchful neighbors, and humble servants in times like these!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It's not nerve, it's psychcosis (don't even know if I spelled that correctly). It's awful and I'm so sorry you have to be faced with this challenges. Unfortunately, there is a reason you are there whether we know what that is or not. We must trust that you will be brought through this and be stronger for it.
ReplyDeleteI will pray too!