I arrived in Minneapolis, Minnesota on Friday March 31, 2011. I was beat, tired, ready to relax, so I barely noticed I was in a city at all. I met my dear friend Kaci at the airport and we rushed to the hotel, checked in, ate at a small bbq hole in the wall (which was pretty fantastic) and retired for the evening.
In the morning we didn't venture out of the hotel, but instead ate the crappy continental breakfast provided for us by the Hyatt... thanks for the stomach ache Hyatt. After 8 hours of class and some serious recovery from the time difference I was pooped, but still walking was needed to clear the air and my head... and that is where my epiphany began.
Walking down the gorgeous tiled sidewalk (okay gorgeous may be a stretch) I began to reminisce. I slowly started remembering the enjoyment I used to have walking the streets of New York, watching the hustle and bustle of the pedestrians getting to where they need/want/have to go and the thrill of being surrounded by the large buildings. I used to believe the feel of it was akin to an amusement park... it was the energy of it all and the people and the place, yes, the place. I started to feel that same energy permeate my being, here in Minneapolis... it seems weird, but it's not an exaggeration. Truly some mysterious energy began to surround me and slowly, like an IV drip administering a much needed drug, it began to revive a dormant happy place in my soul.
I don't understand how a place can do this to me... but not just any place mind you. So far there are only a few that have been able to bring me to a giddy state, New York, San Fransisco, Denver, and now, Minneapolis... I must hurry to Washington DC to discover if the light shines brightly there as well, but something tells me no. I didn't care for Chicago, but who knows, maybe I didn't give it a true chance, and I wasn't ready to move to New Orleans, even though there were sparks there and the food... OH MY the food, but that town seems more like a vacation spot than a place to live. Minneapolis, however, even in the cold spring, when everyone is walking to work pissed off at the unseasonable flurries (snow/rain) tumbling down upon them, had me bouncing along the sidewalk with a cheesy grin on my face from ear to ear, clutching my coffee and seriously thinking, I could call this place home. What? Well, probably.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment