The act of driving has been a cathartic experience for me. From the first day I got my license, when I realized one should not drive a stick (manual transmission), talk to her sisters, eat taco bell, and perform the act of a U-turn at the same time, to the many drives across the country that I have experienced. In all my driving adventures, for the past 22 years I can say there have been no regrets... Not even the speeding ticket I received for driving 80mph over the Grapevine (more like 100, the cop was very nice that night). So, it is no surprise that this morning's drive was one that brought on a spirit of optimism I haven't encountered in some time.
Driving up Highway 41 in the Central Valley after it rains/snows is a beautiful experience. I wasn't even a little upset that the road I was supposed to journey on was closed due to snow. I was listening to Ellen DeGeneres' book, Seriously, I'm kidding and I was enjoying the view of the crisp clean air and the freshly snow capped mountains. There's nothing profound about the way Ellen speaks, she's not prophetic or philosophical, she's a normal person who is down to earth pragmatic and funny. So, it's like driving with a close friend talking to you about all the things she's learned in life that are relatively cliche but stated in a hilarious manner. While I'm listening, I'm thinking, gosh, it would be fun to be famous for simply being me, and hopefully, I'd be able to be as down to earth and generous as this lady.
You know what the best part about driving 35 miles and then having to turn around and come back is? I'll tell ya. It's the contrast of sunny and gray, the piercing light reflecting off of the snow making everything appear golden and new. It's the cows, literally frolicking in the fields and the green and golden grass intermingling to form a new perspective of familiar territory. It's the looming dark clouds which are suspended in the midst of blue skies threatening to "clean up this joint." It's the still-cold-enough-to-freeze-the-dew forcing everyone to slow down and turn the trip into a lazy, no where to go feel. I love driving, and someday when I'm too old to drive, I hope I can afford train rides or a chauffeur! Told ya I was feeling optimistic ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment